You earn more
Year on year, UNISON wins pay rises for its members. Average earnings are around 8 percent higher in unionised workplaces.
You're more likely to get equal pay
UNISON is campaigning to bring women's pay into line with men's. Workplaces with union recognition are 20 per cent more likely to have an equal opportunities policy.
You get more holidays
UNISON has won increased leave for many of its members wherever they work. The average trade union member in the UK gets 25 per cent more annual leave than those not in a union
You get more and better training
UNISON provides courses to help you learn new skills, improve existing ones and develop your career. Since 1994 UNISON has won agreements with employers t pay for courses and provide time off for employees to attend them.
You get more maternity leave or parental leave
If you belong to UNISON, your employer is more likely to have parental leave policies which are more generous that the statutory minimum.
You're less likely to be injured at work
UNISON health and safety stewards are trained to minimise the risk of workplace injuries and ensure that employers meet their legal obligations.
If you do get injured at work, you'll get better compensation
UNISON wins millions in legal compensation for people who are injured or become ill at work. We won over £37Million in 2004 for members and their families.
You're less likely to be discriminated against
UNISON campaigns for tougher laws to make it illegal to discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, disability or sexual orientation. Black and Asian trade unionists earn 32 per cent more than non-unionised colleagues.
You can help our campaign for world class public services
UNISON campaigns against privatisation, including PFI and Foundation Hospitals. We also seek equivalent pay and employment rights for all our members working in the private and voluntary sectors.
You're less likely to be sacked
Trade Union members are only half as likely to be sacked as non-members.
And there's more...
Being a UNISON member gives you a huge range of additional benefits, including:
- Unrivalled protection and representation at work
- Confidential welfare services for you and your dependents in difficult times
- Excellent legal services including free help with work problems and legal support for members and their families
- Pensions advice
- A special hotline, UNISONdirect, for help and advice on workplace issues
- Online employment and workplace advice
- Cash benefits for accidents and injuries at work
- A colour magazine sent to your home four times a year, a monthly magazine for our stewards and activists and a full range of publicity
- Our own holiday centre for members and families at the Devon seaside
For more detailed information about benefits see the membership benefits page